7 TIPS to Stay Positive in Tough Times (and 3 Action Items)
Do you agree that staying positive during this pandemic is tough? Especially when you hear that this could continue for months until a vaccine is found. How do you think health care leaders, front line health care workers and emergency responders are feeling?
The problem is, our lives aren't always rosy. Crises happens - be it on a personal level or something more widespread.
The reality of the pandemic is a part of everyone's life, and it makes keeping your spirits up tough.
If you are struggling to stay positive and hopeful when going through tough times, try following these tips where I have shared my own examples:
1. Don't Put Your Head in the Sand
- No matter what you are dealing with, ignoring it is rarely the answer. While ignoring problems might feel good in the short-term, it will sap your long-term positivity.
2. This Too Shall Pass
- When you are in the midst of a crisis, it is nearly impossible to keep things in perspective. That said, you need to recognize that your circumstances are temporary. Things might seem dire at the moment, but try your best to remember that "this too shall pass."
3. Make a Plan
- One of the single best things you can do to maintain positivity during tough times is to make a plan on how to deal with it. When you focus on the solution rather than the problem, you will naturally feel more positive. You will feel like you are rising to the challenge. We have been doing this with our wellness centre – finding ways to keep in touch with our clients and promote some sales.
4. Think About the Things You are Grateful For
- Even during great personal turmoil, you still have things you are grateful for. When things get tough, it is vital to remember that there is good in the world, and more importantly, in your life. When you are struggling, take some time to list the things in your life you are grateful for. This has been by far my saving grace.
5. Reach Out for Support
- Support in and support out! Reach out to loved ones and offer your support. Reach out if you need assistance too. When things are dire, it is always reaffirming when people pull together and help each other. Every Monday, I organize a Zoom video conference with my late mother in law’s side of the family. We pray together and then spend some time chatting and catching up.
6. Take a Break
- Sometimes our circumstances are so dire that we are forced to think about our problems constantly. You can take a break from the news, social media, or other people. It might not be easy but taking a break and focusing on something that gives you joy can help keep you be positive. My massage therapist has started making cooking videos on Thai recipes and uploading them on YouTube!
7. Focus on Things You Can Control
- When your world seems like it is spinning out of control, you may feel helpless. One way to address this and stay more positive is to focus on the things you can control. For example, my husband, Badur, cannot control that his massage practice is closed, but he can control what he can do with his time. He has spent this time renovating, painting, moving his father to our house, cleaning out his parent’s house and more. He would not have been able to do that if he was working full-time.
- Write down your feelings. Think about everything you are dealing with and how it's affecting you and write that down. Don't worry about grammar or spelling; just focus on getting your feelings out of your head and onto paper.
- Reach out. Whether you are reaching out to offer support or request it, reaching out will help you feel like part of a community. When we all work together, we can overcome anything.
- Make a plan. Think about what your biggest struggle is right now and devise a plan to tackle it. Set some goals and deadlines. You will feel more positive by just having the plan, and even more positive if you act on it.
- Stay Positive: Encouraging Quotes and Messages
- Take in the Good: Skills for Staying Positive and Living Your Best Life
- Staying Positive in a Negative World
- Positive Thinking Every Day
- The Power of Positive Thinking